- Go to http://caltopo.com/kmz.html or click Print and then choose KMZ.
- Navigate to the area you want to export
- Set the map background using the dropdown at the top right. You can combine layers as usual, e.g. shaded relief + topo + slope shading
- If needed, click "fit selection to screen" and drag the rectangle to cover the area you want to export
- Choose a zoom level, remembering that you can only fit 100 images total on the GPS
- Click "Download KMZ", or click "Connect to GPS" to send the file directly to a newer Garmin GPS using the Communicator plugin.
|Exporting avalanche slope shading to a KMZ file.|
- Plug in your GPS using USB. It should show up as a removeable drive, just like a USB thumb drive
- Create a \Garmin\CustomMaps\ directory on the GPS, if it doesn't already exist
- Copy the .kmz file into \Garmin\CustomMaps\
You may also have to turn on the Custom Maps layer on your GPS.